Fire risks in the kitchen

There are many primary fire-related risks in a kitchen:

  • Flames, sparks and hot gases from food preparation can ignite residues in exhaust flues.
  • Overheated oils can lead to spontaneous combustion.
  • A malfunction or overheating in a fan motor , caused by solidified fat when work is balanced in seasonal catering institutions that do not operate 24 h a day.
  • Poorly operating thermostats and lack of a secondary thermostat with a high level of safety.
  • Failure to switch off equipment, especially at the end of activity.
  • Metal exhaust flues are good conductors of heat and may ignite nearby construction material or debris.
  • Catalytic converters break down grease, but constitute potential sources of ignition at an operating temperature of 1000°C.
  • Food preparation equipment that are based on solid fuels, such as grills
  • Tandoori ovens without igniters/pilot lights, lit with burning pieces of paper; lack of fault-detecting automatic switchoff equipment
  • Gas blowtorches used for browning some foods
  • Food preparation equipment left without supervision during operation